Elegant Steamed Asparagus & Hollandaise Butter Sauce
Everyone loves a bit of Hollandaise Butter Sauce, and it’s hard to turn down some steamed asparagus. Conrad explains how to marry the two.
A dish of Steamed Asparagus & Hollandaise Butter Sauce is fairly easy and very moreish.
Asparagus – 1 bunch (About 1 Lb)
Unsalted Butter – 10 tbsp
Egg Yolks – 3
Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
Salt (Skip If Using Salted Butter) – 1/2 Teaspoon
Pinch of Cayenne
- For an elegant presentation of the spears, use a vegetable peeler to peel off a very thin layer of the outer skin of the lower two to three inches of the asparagus spears.
- Prepare a large, shallow pan (with a cover) with a half-inch of water and a steamer rack.
- Prepare the Hollandaise sauce: Melt the butter in a small pot. Put the egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and cayenne into a blender.
- Blend the eggs for 20-30 seconds at medium to medium-high speed until lighter in colour.
- Turn blender down to lowest setting and slowly drizzle in the hot melted butter while the blender is going. Continue to blend for a few seconds after all of the butter is incorporated.
- Taste the sauce and add more salt or lemon juice if needed. Keep warm while you are steaming the asparagus.
- Steam the asparagus: Bring the water in your steaming pan to a boil. Place the asparagus on the steaming rack. Cover.
- Steam for 3 to 5 minutes, until tender, but still a little crisp, definitely not mushy. The timing depends on how thick the asparagus spears are.
- Serve: To serve, plate the asparagus. Pour Hollandaise sauce over them.