Welcome to our weekly food and cooking column, Cooking With Conrad Gallagher.
Conrad Gallagher is a Michelin Star chef and author and is the owner of Off The Menu Food Emporium and Bistro Vin De Boeuf in St Francis Bay. Furthermore, Conrad won his Michelin Star when he was only 24 years old. Thus we are very proud to have him writing for St Francis Today. Further, this is his regular column, Cooking With Conrad Gallagher.
In today’s column, Conrad gives us his recipe for his popular dish, the Prawn Spaghetti Aglio Olio
6 medium-size prawns
30g olive oil
About 10g garlic, thinly sliced
10g red onion, chopped finely
Approx 10g rocket, chopped finely
5g red chilli, chopped finely
2g dried red chilli flakes
10g freshly grated parmesan (Grana Padano)
Ground table salt
Maldon sea salt
- Firstly, using a large pot – fill with water and bring to the boil. When cooking pasta always allow 3 times the amount of water to pasta . Add salt to the water at a rate of 15g per litre.
- Then remove all shells & tails from prawns.
- Furthermore,using a large saucepan, warm gently and add olive oil. Warm the olive oil & add the garlic, red onion, fresh and dried chilli, and lightly sauté to infuse with the olive oil. Add Maldon sea salt and pepper.
- Equally important, drop the pasta in the boiling water and allow 6 to 8 minutes of rapid boiling, taking time to stir to prevent the spaghetti from sticking.
- Then add the prawns to the pan of olive oil and allow to emerge in the garlic, onion, and chillies. Lower the temperature and cook slowly.
- Finally, when the pasta is al dente, strain the water.
- To conclude, add the spaghetti to the prawn pan and toss together. Add the grated Grana Padano parmesan and chopped rocket.
- Thereafter, serve in a large bowl with some hot crusty bread, and enjoy.
Previous column – beef marrow truffle sauce
Previous column – Salmon Rillette