The Traditional Spanish Omelette – Garlic Aioli
Potatoes – 600 grams (1.3 Lb)
Salt – 1 ½ tsp
Olive oil – 2 ¼ cup
Onion, Small or Medium – 1
Eggs, Medium to Large – 4
- Rinse and peel the potatoes. Cut them into quarters lengthwise, then slice thinly.
- Pour 2 cups of oil into a frying pan/skillet. Turn on the heat to high. When the oil is hot, add sliced potatoes and reduce the heat to medium. Fry the potatoes for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile: Peel the onion, cut in half and slice each half thinly. Add it to the potatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes (the potatoes should be cooked at this stage).
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat 4 eggs. Season with a generous pinch of salt. When the potatoes and onions are cooked, drain the excess oil and add them into the bowl with beaten eggs. Mix everything together and let it rest (5 minutes).
- Heat ¼ cup of olive oil in a frying pan/skillet. Wait until the oil is hot, and only then pour in the potato mixture. Push down the edges with a spatula. Let it cook until the edges are set (a few minutes).
- Cover the pan with a large plate. Hold the plate tight with one hand and hold the handle of your pan/skillet with the other one. Flip over the skillet so that the plate is underneath.
- Lift the empty pan/skillet and place it back onto the heat. Add little oil (2 tablespoons). Slide the omelette back into the pan. Cook until set or until it looks to your liking.
- If a large onion is all you have on hand, use half of it only.
- This recipe may feed 2 to 12 people: 2 (eaten as a main), 4 (starter/side), 8-12 (tapas/party appetizer).
- Waxy potatoes are the best option as they hold their shape better after being cooked.
- I don’t recommend substituting olive oil for sunflower/vegetable or other oil.
- This omelette fits perfectly into a frying pan with 7-inch/18cm base size.
Last week’s column:
Previous Column – Could This Be The Best Burger Of Your Life?
Previous column – In wine, age matters – in both vineyard and bottle! – The Real Value Of Your Wine Age
Previous column – Prawn Spaghetti Aglio Olio – recipe.
Previous column – Beef Marrow Truffle Sauce – recipe.
Previous column – Salmon Rillette– recipe.