What’s On At The SUPERSPAR
Seen as we live in Calamari Country, we thought it a great idea to have a look at the SPAR Recipe for preparing their own special crispy salt and pepper calamari. Enjoy a calamari weekend with the SUPERSPAR.
CRISPY SALT AND PEPPER CALAMARI
- CRISPY CALAMARI
- 400g (1 bag) SPAR calamari rings, defrosted
- ¼ cup SPAR cake flour
- ¼ cup cornflour
- 1 litre SPAR sunflower oil for frying
- GARLIC MAYONNAISE
- 1 clove SPAR Freshline garlic
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp SPAR mustard
- 1 Tbsp SPAR lemon juice
- 1 cup SPAR sunflower oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chips for serving
- To make the garlic mayonnaise, you can either use store-bought mayonnaise and fold through 1 clove of freshly crushed garlic or make it from scratch following the recipe below.
- Break an egg into a large jar (that will fit the front attachment of your stick blender).
- Add the garlic, mustard and lemon juice and then carefully pour in the oil (you want to try not to break the egg yolk). Now pop the stick blender into the jar so that the blade fits directly over the egg yolk.
- Start blending at a slow speed and keep it there for a minute. Then carefully start pulling the blender up so that a little bit of oil at a time is incorporated into the mayonnaise.
- Continue doing so until all the oil has been worked into the mayonnaise and thickened. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Ensure the calamari rings are dried well by defrosting them, draining off the extra liquid through a colander, and then patting them down with a paper towel.
- Toss with the flours, salt and pepper until each ring is coated.
- Heat the oil in a medium to a large pot. Drop a calamari ring into the oil to check if it’s hot enough. If it starts bubbling immediately, it’s ready.
- Fry the calamari in two batches for about 10 minutes each – it’s ready when the batter feels crispy when you touch it with a spoon. It doesn’t go brown, so don’t wait for that.
- Serve with mayonnaise and some fresh lemon wedges.
Some fantastic weekend specials at the SUPERSPAR Village Square