Two more World Title Holders in the Line Up for the SA Canoe Marathon Champs
Adding to the number of world champions / record holders competing in this weekend’s SA Canoe marathon champions ships are two of South Africa’s if not the world’s finest.
Local canal homeowner Matthew Bouman has confirmed he will be visiting his home on the canals this weekend to compete in the K2 category of this weekend’s SA Canoe Marathon Champs, the biggest ever event by far, to be held on our waterways.
Winner of the 2106 edition of King of the Kromme and current holder of the 10 kilometre St Francis Bay Paddling Club time trial in an incredible time of 41 minutes in addition to many other titles both here in South Africa and internationally. Those who recall the 2016 King of the Kromme will recall it was held in a howling gale causing several competitors call it a day in well-nigh impossible conditions. His prowess in the wind should stand him in good stead for wind is forecast over the weekend.
Matt’s achievements (rather understated)
- Multiple National Sprint Titles:K1 – K2 – K4.
- Multiple Surfski National Champion.
- Multiple Surfski World Cup Wins.
- Lifesaving Surfski World Champion
Matt will sadly only be competing in the K2 category
Last but certainly not least and adding to the pedigree of this event is one probably considered the greatest paddler ever in South Africa, if not in the world, Hank McGregor. Hank has decided to focus on surfski paddling in future, so is not paddling K1 on Saturday, but will be joining Andy Birkett in a formidable K2 team on Sunday.
Hank’s paddling CV makes for incredible reading:
Represented South Africa since 1994 – Sprints/Marathon/Surfski/Lifesaving. World Paddler of the Year 2014, Runner up SA Sportsman of the Year 2016, 2x World Surfski Series Champion, Winner of all major SAK1 &K2 &K4 Sprints/Marathon & Surfski.
- Only paddler to win all Senior Men’s SA K1 & K2 /Singles & Doubles Surfski & River & Flatwater Marathon titles in same year.
- Winner of the following: 7x Umkomaas, 9x Cape Point Challenge (7x single, 2x doubles), 3x Vaal Canoe Marathon, 3x Breede River Marathon, 11x Berg River Marathon, 3x (2 x k1/1 x k2) non-stop Dusi, 3x Dusi, 1x Junior K1 World Marathon, 7x Fish River Marathon, 3x Drak Challenge,
- 7x K1 Senior World Marathon, 3x K2 Senior World Marathon,
- PE to East London Singles Surfski,
- USA Surfski Champs,
- Hong Kong Dragon Run ski race,
- Perth Doctor,
- Mauritius Ocean Classic Surfski Champs,
- 3x Molokai Surfski Challenge (Hawaii),
- 4x Avon Canoe Marathon (Australia)
Cape St Francis Resort is offering a few specials during registration (See details to the right of this article)
We are in for a treat so let’s come out in our droves to support this huge event and line the baks to cheer them on.