Tragic end to a corporate weekend in Wilderness

NSRI Station 23 Wilderness duty crew were activated following reports from members of the public at a Touws River campsite, Wilderness, of bystander CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation) efforts being conducted on a man up the river from the camp site.

An NSRI rescue vehicle, SA National Parks (SANPark) rangers and WC Government Health EMS responded.

On arrival on the scene a SANPark boat carried NSRI medics and a George doctor, who was staying at the camp site, to the scene further up the river and the SANPark boat returned to collect an EMS paramedic.

NSRI medics, the doctor and the EMS paramedic continued with extensive CPR efforts but sadly after all efforts were exhausted the man was declared deceased.

It appears that the 44 year old male, from Durban, on a corporate weekend with colleagues, reportedly fell out of a kayak while paddling on the river when a colleague rescued him to the shore and initiated CPR while raising the alarm.

The body the man was transported downstream and taken into the care of the SA Police Services and the Forensic Pathology Services and an inquest docket has been opened and to determine the cause of death.

Condolences are conveyed to family, friends and colleagues of the man.

Earlier this week,

On Tuesday, 5th February, NSRI Station 23 Wilderness responded to Main Beach, Wilderness, following reports of a drowning in progress.

NSRI rescue swimmers and WC Government Health EMS responded.

On arrival on the scene a 20 year old local female, believed to have been rescued from the water by a bystander, was out the water and being attended to by Eden 911 paramedics and she was transported to hospital by Eden 911 ambulance in a stable condition where she was released from hospital later following observations for non-fatal drowning symptoms.

And on Saturday

NSRI Station 6 Port Elizabeth launched the sea rescue craft Spirit of Toft to patient evacuate a male crewman off a 299m bulk carrier suffering an abscess on the hip.

They rendezvoused with the ship 5 nautical miles from the Port of Port Elizabeth.

Two NSRI rescue swimmers boarded the ship and the patient was transferred onto the sea rescue craft that returned to where the crewman was taken to hospital.

Just after 01h00 while recovering our sea rescue craft one of our crew noted a 10 meter fishing boat appearing to have run aground in the harbour.

On further investigation it was found to be 3 fishing boats run aground. All of the boats were not manned.

The sea rescue craft Spirit of Toft and JLK Rescuer launched and the owners of the fishing boats were contacted.

NSRI rescue swimmers checked for damage before the boats were towed back to their moorings at their Quay about 300 meters away.

Another 5 fishing boats were found to be partially loose from their moorings from unknown causes.

Due to a combination of light winds and the quick NSRI response no serious damage to the fishing boats was caused after they gently drifted away from their moorings and only lightly grounded on the beach South of the Port Elizabeth Angling Club and avoiding colliding with any other craft and no pollution spills were caused.

The owners are investigating the circumstances.