Diners Club is celebrating its coveted Winelist Awards with events in the Western Cape, Gauteng, Kwa-Zulu-Natal and Eastern/Southern Cape this month: The Eastern and Southern Cape and Klein Karoo winners were announced at a function at Monet’s at Fancourt, George.
See list of winners below.
The Diners Club Winelist Awards have honoured the best wine lists in the country for over two decades and attract restaurants eager to gain recognition for the energy and attention they put into their wine lists. 2019 saw a year-on-year entry growth of over 10% – this reflects that an ever-growing number of establishments and patrons appreciate that the perfect meal is greatly enhanced by a fine wine to match.
This year, 205 restaurants from around the country submitted wine lists for judging by a select panel led by publisher of the Platter’s by Diners Club Wine Guide, Jean-Pierre Rossouw.
“It’s clear that dining establishments are giving their wine lists ever-more attention, and a trend that I’d really like to applaud is the growing number of wine stewards and sommeliers that curate and present the lists,” says Rossouw. “It’s also encouraging to note the number of establishments offering a wider choice of wines by the glass.”
The Diners Club Winelist Awards are a benchmark for excellence in the restaurant industry and it was encouraging to see as many as 47 restaurants countrywide achieving Diamond status this year.
Diners Club has a long history of supporting the wine industry. The response to this annual competition confirms the high standard of restaurants around the country and the significant choice our cardholders have when it comes to eating out.
In addition to Head Judge JP Rossouw, the judging panel comprised leading experts, Pete Goffe-Wood, Spencer Fondaumiere, Karin Visser and James Mukosi.
EASTERN CAPE, SOUTHERN CAPE AND KLEIN KAROO WINNERS
- Pumba Private Game Reserve – Bush Lodge, Highlands, Makana Municipality
- Pumba Private Game Reserve – Water Lodge, Highlands, Makana Municipality
- Chatter’s Bistro, Knysna
- De Viswijf Restaurant, Jeffrey’s Bay
- Dune Ridge Country House, St Francis Bay
- Gallery Café, Prince Albert (Klein Karoo)
- Hacklewood Hill Country House, Port Elizabeth
- Hopefield Country House, Sundays River Valley Addo
- Hunter Hotel Group, Plettenberg Bay
- Lairds Lodge Country Estate, Jeffrey’s Bay
- Swartberg Country Manor, Oudtshoorn, Klein Karoo
- The Fat Fish Restaurant, George
- The Fat Fish Restaurant, Plettenberg Bay
- The Hussar Grill Walmer, Port Elizabeth
- The Hussar Grill, George
- The Sands @ St Francis Bay
- The Verandah Beach Hotel, Summerstrand, Port Elizabeth
Col’Cacchio Pizzeria Boardwalk, Port Elizabeth