Welcome to our weekly food and cooking column, Cooking With Conrad Gallagher.
Conrad Gallagher is a Michelin Star chef and author and is the owner of Off The Menu Food Emporium and Bistro Vin De Boeuf in St Francis Bay. Furthermore, Conrad won his Michelin Star when he was only 24 years old. Thus we are very proud to have him writing for St Francis Today. This is his regular column, with St Francis Today, Cooking With Conrad Gallagher.
In today’s column, Conrad gives us his Tagliatelle recipe.
Tagliatelle – Wagyu beef Ragù, tomatoes, parsley, basil.
100g ground Wagyu
15g fresh tomatoes
30g chopped tinned Roma tomatoes
30g red wine
30g beef stock
10g chopped red onions
15g chopped garlic
15g chopped celery
15g chopped leeks
15g chopped carrot
30g Italian parsley
30g fresh basil
15g grated Parmesan (Grana Padano)
5g of table salt
Maldon sea salt
- Firstly, using a large pot – fill with water and bring to the boil. Please note – when cooking pasta, always allow 3 times the amount of water to pasta. Add salt to the water at a rate of 15g per litre.
- Then, using a heavy-based pan, warm the pan and add olive oil. Once warm, add the chopped garlic and onions and sauté gently without colour.
- Furthermore, add the chopped celery, leeks, carrots and gently cook. Season with the Maldon sea salt and white pepper. This mix can be called your flavour foundation. Remove the mix from the pan and leave it to the side.
- Equally important, put the heavy base pan back on the heat and warm, add additional olive oil to warm, then add the ground Wagyu and cook at high heat until golden brown. Season the meat with Maldon sea salt and white pepper.
- Then, when the meat is golden brown, remove it from the pan and use a strainer to remove all excess fat or oil that would have leaked from the meat.
- Importantly, wipe the pan with a paper towel and put it back on high heat. Next, add the flavour foundation mix (onion, garlic, leeks, celery, carrots) to the pan. Next, add the Wagyu meat mix and warm together. Finally, add the red wine and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- At this stage, add the fresh chopped tomatoes, tinned chopped tomatoes, beef stock, and simmer for 45 minutes on low heat. Season again with Maldon sea salt and white pepper.
- Finally, add the fresh chopped parsley and basil. Finish with freshly micro grated Parmesan and serve over cooked pasta.
Another great tip:
Once the pasta is cooked, drain the water. Return to the pan, add some olive oil, season with salt and pepper & add grated Parmesan. Then, pour the Wagyu ragout sauce over the pasta and mix well together. Finally, finish with Parmesan and chopped Italian parsley and basil.
Previous column – Prawn Spaghetti Aglio Olio
Previous column – Beef Marrow Truffle Sauce
Previous column – Salmon Rillette