“It is not beyond our power to create a world in which all children have access to a good education. Those who do not believe this have small imaginations.”
Sea Vista Educational Support Group will be holding a meeting at 10h00 on today (Wednesday) morning at the church for anyone is interested in any aspect of this work.
For those who don’t know, this initiative has three main thrusts:
- Literacy is a huge problem in South African schools. Our volunteers give around 45 minutes of their time in the mornings to help small groups of Grade 1 to 3 pupils with their reading. We use a specific remedial programme and all materials are supplied.
- Numeracy/Arithmetic is another major problem, and becoming more urgent with the advent of the 4th Industrial Revolution, which demands higher level logic. Here, we focus on Grades 4 to 7, with classes in the afternoons. We work mainly on the four basic operations – addition, subtraction, multiplication and division – and trying to get the children to learn their tables.
- Raising money for a Teacher Support Fund. Unfortunately our teacher support fund is now quite low. Two teachers retired at the end of 2018 and the Education Department didn’t replace them. We sponsored the 2 replacements during 2019 and would like to continue or even increase this during 2020. This is where the rubber really hits the road – the teachers at this school have to teach more than 50 children per class. Just consider what this means, when some of the better resourced schools in the country try to limit their class sizes to 25, or at the very most, 30. At 50 pupils per class, teaching is more like crowd control.
We ask for your support for this initiative in 2020.
It is an initiative that recognises that the quality of the education our children receive will determine the kind of country we all live in. It is an initiative that recognises that our education system is broken but believes that through our actions, can help to fix it one child at a time.
How can you help?
- Through sponsorship of teachers via our teacher support fund – once off or regular donations are all very welcome. R100 per month from every family would be miraculous
- By joining our literacy and numeracy support teams. No qualifications are necessary – if you are literate and numerate that’s good enough for us. If you travel extensively, join the club! We need all the help we can get, whenever we can get it!
For more information contact Dorothy Ker-Fox – email@example.com