Every once in a while a lovely e-mail arrives in our inbox but few written with as much love and emotion as a mail received from Jayne Haldene over the weekend. Jayne down from Johannesburg for the summer holidays to spend a little time with her Mum penned this letter reaching out to try and find someone to look after the lovable family Cross Labrador Ridgeback for three years whilst Mum Caroline, is away in China.
So touched were we by the mail that we visited Ben at his home in Cape St Francis and can really say what a beautiful, obedient and lovable fella Ben is.
“My name is Ben Haldane. I am a part of the Haldane family consisting of my mom Caroline Haldane and siblings. We love each other very much, but I need to find a new temporary, loving home because my mom has to move overseas for 3 years. She will pay for my food and vet bills and would like to fetch me when she comes home for holidays and perhaps my extended family can fetch me on the weekends too because I’ll miss them very much. After the 3 years I will want to go back home to my mom. I am 6 in May 2017 and am a big lab x ridge back.
Here are some facts you need to know about me:
- I really love people and therefore am an inside/outside dog. What that means is I sleep inside and when you are at home I like to be close to you. I usually just lay around and am not boisterous. If you are not at home during the day I understand I need to play outside and wait for you to come home and throw my ball for me. I have never been left alone for a whole night by myself but if you are going to a braai please can you put me inside at night? I’m really good at holding in my “toilets”.
- I have never been smacked and a stern voice will get me to do what you want, although this is very seldom needed.
- I am kind of trained. I can sit and shake hands and go lie down. I love my ball and me and my family play ball 2-3 times a day, and if they forget I remind them by bringing the ball to them and perhaps giving a little bark if you not looking at me. I walk on the leash but not in the best manner- This is when I get really excited because I know I am going to the beach to swim. I love swimming in the sea, but for some reason not a swimming pool.
- I love my cat, she is so cute and I lick her head and she lies with me at night- so I think it’s safe to say I’m good with cats.
- Other dogs- this is a tricky one. On my leash I don’t seem to like them and cause a bit of trouble but when I meet puppies and have someone to guide me I love them and they can’t get away from me licking them! We will need to see if I can be friends with your dogs before I can live with you.
- I love children, but I am not here to be ridden on, I like to get big hugs and sometimes sneak on their beds at night.
- I love egg on toast (if you’re making) hold the tomato sauce! I also like sharing a sarmie with you but I am not allowed bones… I choke on them.
- I’m not scared of thunder but I definitely don’t like it, I would prefer to be close to you when it happens.
- I’m really good in the car!
I really am a calm, loving dog that needs LOTS of love (I may get homesick you see) and attention. I will protect you and bring you tons of laughs while we are together.
Please help me find a temporary home.
If you would like to meet Ben with a view to giving him a lovable home please give Caroline a call on 076 820 6109 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org