Recalling the St Francis Bay Residents Association (SFBRA) AGM held at St Francis Bay Bowls Club on December 17th where over 180 residents gathered for the associations AGM and election of a new committee, the high-point of the evening was undoubtedly the overwhelming support for the “Saving St Francis” initiative presented to the audience by Wayne Furphy and Chris Gray.
Following up from the December meeting the newly elected SFBRA committee met on January 8th where Wayne Furphy was elected Chairman with Chris Gray Vice-Chairman. The balance of the committee is made up of Paul Pezarro (Treasurer), Jacky Green (Secretary), David Truter, Louis van der Merwe, Richard Foulds (Riparian Chairman) and Norman Dyer (Joint River Committee Chairman). St Francis Today takes this opportunity of wishing the new committee every success in their efforts over the coming year.
To ensure continuity of the SFBRA efforts, Furphy and Gray have met with their past Chairman and Vice-Chaiman, Nigel Aitken and Tony Moore to ensure a comprehensive handover of all matters. A meeting was then also held with Councillor Ben Rheeder and Aitken to be briefed on the Joint Beach Committee (JBC) which has oversight responsibility for the BAR (Basic Assessment Report) submission to DEDEAT (Department of Economic Development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism) for the Spit and Beach repair work . Frank Silberbauer remains responsible for preparing this submission.
New Chairman Wayne Furphy outlined the following as the immediate focus of the new committee:
- Help the JBC and Frank Silberbauer submit the BAR by the 11th February. DEDEAT then have 30 days to complete their review and hopefully authorise the BAR to allow us to start work on the repair of the Beach and Spit.
- Meet with Kouga Municipality to begin the SRA (Self Rated Area) application process.
- Complete the registration of the Schedule 1 Company, open its bank accounts, and ready it for taking over the work of the JBC once the BAR has been authorised.
- Update and improve the accuracy of the database of property owners and residents in the greater St Francis Bay area with accurate email, cell phone and telephone details.
- Step up communication with all stakeholders, but especially, communication to all property owners and residents.
- Encourage all property owners and residents to join the SFBRA. St Francis Bay needs a strong Residents Association whose members represents all of our property members and residents.
- Raise money through donations to repair our infrastructure ie. the Spit, Beach, River, Roads, Stormwater Drains and Sewerage.
Furphy stressed the importance of having a well-supported association and has asked all property owners and residents joining the SFBRA. “We need you all to be part of ‘Saving St Francis’” said Furphy!
Membership is R450 per annum and R300 per annum for Pensioners and payment can be made to:-
Account name: St Francis Bay Residents Association
Bank: Standard Bank Humansdorp
Account number: 08 249 9276
Branch code: 050015
Reference to use: Please quote your name and Erf. No. as reference
Those wishing to contribute to the “Saving St Francis” fund can make the donations to :-
Account name: Moore Stephens Trust
Bank: ABSA Humansdorp
Account number: 1940 141 962
Branch code: 632-005 or 334-115
Reference to use: The Erf No. and the name of the entity to which the payment relates
Please email a bank proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Edited from report supplied by SFBRA