St Francis College bring Dental Care to Talhado Children’s Haven
The children of Talhado Children’s Haven in Sea Vista were treated to a most unusual event on Thursday 12th November when local Dentist, Dr Michael Jones, arrived with Grade 6 learners from St Francis College to talk to them about dental health care.
The event was the brain child of the College’s Grade 6 learners and their history teacher Cathryn Hempel. “We are currently studying democracy, including children’s rights and their right to free health care, and with this in mind, the class raised enough money to purchase each child at the Haven a toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste. We’ve come here today to hand these to the children and to give them the opportunity to learn from Dr Jones on how to care for their teeth,” said Hempel.
Talhado Children’s Haven learner Robin-Lee Titus is delighted with her gift of a toothbrush with toothpaste from St Francis College Grade 6 learner Nicole Kaunda
“In addition, the Rotary Satellite Club of St Francis heard about the initiative and felt it was worthy of support with a donation of R1000.00 to boost the funds,” she added.
The children sat engrossed while Dr Jones demonstrated how to properly clean teeth and use dental floss first in Afrikaans and then with the help of a Xhosa translater, Grade 00 Xhosa Montessori teacher, Loreka Coetser. Both groups of children sang school songs for each other as well as the National anthem, but the highlight of the entertainment came when young Josh Robson who only the day before had won the St Francis College talent competition, gave a display of his skills with hula hoops!
Dr Michael Jones assisted by St Francis College Grade 6 teacher Cathryn Hempel demonstrates how teeth need to be cleaned
The morning’s fun ended with each child receiving a delicious cup cake before returning to class.
“All of us at the Haven would like to give a big thank you to St Francis College Grade 6, Mrs Hempel and to Dr Jones for giving up his time to come and talk about this very important subject to our young learners. Hopefully they will all remember this day for a long time to come,” said Lesley Moore, Haven administrator.
Article by Lynette Aitken
Marijuana Kills Cancer Cells, Admits US National Cancer Institute
States in the US may be one step closer to legalizing the recreational use of marijuana, especially now that the National Cancer Institute (NCI) has updated its website FAQs to include studies proving cannabis as a natural remedy for cancer.
As InfoWars reports, NCI updated its page to include various studies revealing how cannabis “may inhibit tumor growth by causing cell death, blocking cell growth, and blocking the development of blood vessels needed by tumors to grow” while also protecting normal, healthy cells.
“A laboratory study of cannabidiol (CBD) in estrogen receptor positive and estrogen receptor negative breast cancer cells showed that it caused cancer cell death while having little effect on normal breast cells. Studies in mouse models of metastatic breast cancer showed that cannabinoids may lessen the growth, number, and spread of tumors.”
The full list provided by the National Cancer Institute follows:
- Cannabinoids may inhibit tumor growth by causing cell death, blocking cell growth, and blocking the development of blood vessels needed by tumors to grow. Laboratory and animal studies have shown that cannabinoids may be able to kill cancer cells while protecting normal cells.
Cannabinoids may protect against inflammation of the colon and may have potential in reducing the risk of colon cancer, and possibly in its treatment.
- A laboratory study of delta -9-THC in hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer) cells showed it damaged or killed the cancer cells. The same study of delta-9-THC in models of liver cancer showed that it had anti-tumor effects. Delta-9-THC has been shown to cause these effects by acting on molecules that may also be found in non-small cell lung cancer cells and breast cancer cells.
- A laboratory study of cannabidiol (CBD) in estrogen receptor positive and estrogen receptor negative breast cancer cells showed that it caused cancer cell death while having little effect on normal breast cells. Studies of metastatic breast cancer showed that cannabinoids may lessen the growth, number, and spread of tumors.
- A laboratory study of cannabidiol in human glioma cells showed that when given along with chemotherapy, CBD may make chemotherapy more effective and increase cancer cell death without harming normal cells. Studies showed that CBD together with delta-9-THC may make chemotherapy such as temozolomide more effective.
- These studies are considered by the NCI as preclinical. They were all done using animals. According to them, no clinical trials of cannabis use for the treatment of cancer in humans have been published.
- Delta-9-THC and other cannabinoids stimulate appetite and can increase food intake.
Cannabinoid receptors have been studied in the brain, spinal cord, and nerve endings throughout the body to understand their roles in pain relief.
- Cannabinoids have been studied for anti-inflammatory effects that may play a role in pain relief.
That’s not all, in April, the NIDA stated:
“Evidence from one animal study suggests that extracts from whole-plant marijuana can shrink one of the most serious types of brain tumors. Research in mice showed that these extracts, when used with radiation, increased the cancer-killing effects of the radiation.”
How can government agencies conclude the above and the FDA still classify marijuana as a “drug with no medicinal purposes”? Perhaps this video will enlighten you on the reasons why.
Despite the numerous, proven benefits of marijuana, the federal government aims to keep it illegal while the FDA approves expensive prescription drugs with more side effects and far less research.
This article (Marijuana Kills Cancer Cells, Admits US National Cancer Institute) by Amanda Froelich, is free and open source. You have permission to republish this article under a Creative Commons license with attribution to the author and TrueActivist.com
A planned meeting took place yesterday evening, 11th November, in the Sea Vista Hall which was very poorly attended. When the meeting started neither the Mayor, her Committee members nor the Municipal Manager had arrived. Your Chairman voiced his concern that this was now the second meeting in as many weeks where the Mayor and senior officials had not attend and indicated that this showed a total lack of interest by the municipality in resolving the many serious issues that exist in Sea Vista and St Francis Bay. A number of irate Sea Vista residents then demanding that the meeting should be cancelled until such time as those senior municipal officials were in attendance.
A show of hands clearly indicated that the majority wanted the meeting postponed and this was duly done. As this happened the Mayor actually arrived and was informed why the meeting had been cancelled. Obviously, this problem has got to be seriously addressed by our municipality and a future date for the meeting has yet to be confirmed.
Copies of the IDP review for 2016/17 where handed out and if anyone is interested, a copy can be viewed in our office.
St Francis Bay Residents Association
Nobody, no matter their position, be it a President, Mayor, school principal or a salesman, has the right not to show up for a planned meeting on time. Maybe it’s an African continent thing but that doesn’t make it any less disrespectful and come voting time, the community should consider this disrespect along with all the other broken promises made just to get votes.
Attending a presentation yesterday at the Links that was due to start at 08:30, everyone was seated and when the host opened proceedings at exactly 08:31. Nobody arrived late or if they did, they had enough respect not to disrupt the gathering. That is the way it should be – the audience respecting the presenter by being seated on time and the presenter respecting the audience by starting on time.